Friday, March 20, 2009

REALity

Finding material to write about for a weekly blog is challenging. As a writer, one of the principle rules I follow is simple - write what you know. When I write, I often draw from my own life experiences, or I get an idea from something interesting that a person around me has said or done. I also use current events for ideas, as I did for the postings of "Beware of the Fat Bug," "Barbie's World," and "Public School Envy."

A reader of 3 Kids and a Dog…Plus 2 referred to last week's blog as "reality TV." I am thrilled that I have sparked an emotion in this reader. I do not watch much reality TV but I have seen enough to know that this was not a compliment.

I scrolled through my past blogs to see what she meant by her comment (which by the way she accidentally forwarded to me…Oops! A future blog will deal with email etiquette). She is right, there is "reality" in what I write, and that is exactly what I hope to bring to my readers - real life issues that many of us can relate to. Whether I am writing about something campy, like Barbie's 50th birthday, or a more serious topic such as choosing the right school for our children, I often lend my experiences to the story. Making a connection, so to speak, brings life to a story – it adds honesty and emotion to a topic that otherwise may be just factual.

The "reality TV" comment got me to thinking. If I were to have a reality TV series I would call it "The PA" (parents association). It would be brilliant! There would be several leading roles: the controlling former business executive, who runs her home, children, and the PA like a business; the mother with too much help, and oh too little time; and then there could be the competitive mother who wants to "one-up" everyone on everything. This is an excellent example of writing about what you know – been there, seen that! My role would be producer. Writing about binging on Doritos with my son is one thing, having it caught on camera is another - I'll leave that up to the Kardashians.

Back to reality ladies -spring has arrived and it is time to put away our light boxes, shave our legs, and get happy. I look forward to this time of year. After a long cold and snowy winter spring-cleaning begins: we open our screen porch, sweep terraces clean, covers come off the outdoor furniture, and the grill gets going. The children will celebrate spring with their cousins, and a few friends, roasting marshmallows and eating s'mores in our roaring outdoor fireplace. It is a fun time of year.

Spring for me also means preparing for our vegetable garden - I will be tilling soil (that's a sight!), and seeding - there is much to do, so I will post every two weeks now. If you would like to make a comment, or suggestion regarding my blog, it does not have to be by accident. You can comment anonymously by going to Post a Comment, then Select a Profile. I look forward to hearing from you.
Czzy

4 comments:

  1. Czzy - I am bummed that you will be posting just every 2 weeks. I look forward to more reality tv coming my way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Czzy,
    Keep it comin'. Your blogs are so much fun. I can think of a few people to fill the roles of "The PA."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm enjoying your blogs Czzy. Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just got back from our spring break vacation and I was thrilled to read your blog. Keep on blogging!

    ReplyDelete